To relocate with peace of mind means planning an organized move—and that starts with the search for an organized, reputable moving company. If you’re able to find a reputable moving company, all the other stresses and obstacles of a move fade away! There’s unmatched peace of mind in being able to delegate to someone else you can trust. But what makes a moving company reliable?
Below, we’ll discuss not only the scope of services offered by a good moving company, but also some of the traits good movers exhibit and the factors that set them apart from others.
Traits of reliable moving companies
When hiring movers in NYC, think of what you’re paying for. You’re paying someone to pack up, load, transport and unload all your worldly possessions—everything that’s near and dear to you! From this perspective, hiring reputable movers is essential because there’s so much on-the-line.
Who would you trust to handle your possessions? Only someone who exhibits the highest standards and quality traits! Here’s a look at the traits of reliable moving companies and what you should look for when hiring movers.
- Experience: In this field of work, a company should be experienced and reputed. You want someone with hundreds (or thousands) of successful moves under their belt—someone who knows exactly what they’re doing.
- Range of services: Check what services they provide. The bigger the list, the better it gets: local and long distance moving, commercial moving, self-moving, packing and unpacking services, installation, dismantling, assembling and more.
- Flexibility: You need someone who can be flexible with your requirements. Flexibility goes hand-in-hand with adaptability, which is another important trait in a moving company. You want someone who knows how to get the job done, always.
- Affordability: You don’t want to break the bank to move your stuff and you shouldn’t have to. Reliability and price don’t directly correlate. Look for a company that offers reasonable rates and who you’re willing to pay for peace of mind.
- Reliability: Find a company that’s on top of things! They should have established processes for providing a quote, scheduling your move and generating paperwork. The more they’ve got it together, the better the results you can expect from them.
These are by no means the only traits that make a reliable mover in NYC, but they are among the most important. You always want to work with a company that’s generally friendly, communicative and expedient. As more and more of these positive traits start to creep up, you can feel better and better about choosing a mover.
The process of picking an NYC moving company
Every person wants their belongings to be handled by the best moving company available, at an affordable cost. The problem is, it’s not every day you go out and hire a mover! Most people aren’t really sure how to start the process—let alone find the best possible mover. Here are a few simple guidelines that will help you choose the best moving service.
- Get a list of several companies. This way you can narrow your search by looking for companies with the traits listed above. You can also ask your friends and relatives for recommendations. Look at past customers’ reviews too!
- Consider your budget. Cost is another important factor to consider and filtering by cost will help you narrow your options. The company should offer quality services at reasonable charges. Rates that are much higher or lower than average are suspect.
- Check the reputation of the company. Look at websites like the Better Business Bureau to see if they have any complaints lodged against them in the last year. You can also comb Google reviews to see what people are saying about that company, good and bad.
- Get a quote on your move. Moving charges depend on the weight of the goods you’re moving, as well as distance. Most of the companies charge for services based on whether the move is interstate or local. It’s good to discuss this upfront and get a quote.
- Inquire about storage. You might not think you need it, but having access to temporary self-storage is important. There are many reputed moving services that offer temporary and long-term storage that’s safe and cost-effective.
Above all, don’t be afraid to open up a dialogue with a company you’re interested in. Ask questions and get recommendations, and don’t be afraid to question something you don’t understand. A reliable, reputable mover will have nothing to hide and will always be willing to answer your questions.
Company structure and resources
A moving company should be mover than just a couple of guys and a truck. If you want the most out of your movers and moving experience, probe a little deeper than just the services of a company. How do they run? What makes them such a reputed company? Here are a few positive traits of companies to look for as you narrow down your search:
- Licensed and insured, with a good Better Business Bureau (BBB) record
- An estimator, able to tailor a completely custom service quote and scope of work
- An operations department, committed to supervising every aspect of your move
- Moving trucks, equipped with safety features and professional moving equipment
- Access to packing and moving materials rated for all types of moves
- Movers with experience handling large, delicate, oversized and specialty items
- Uniformed employees and branded paperwork
Each of these things further contributes to the image of a reliable, reputable moving company that’s ready to work for you, keeping your best interests top-of-mind. Use this guide when trying to find movers and you won’t be disappointed with the results!