Moving is a tough task for everyone in the family, but kids particularly have a harder time adjusting to a new environment. Leaving friends, teachers they know and a school environment they are comfortable with makes it difficult for them to adjust to a new place.
There are many things to consider when looking for a new school. Here are some useful tips that can help you in finding the best school for your little one.
1. Your first conversation about schools should be with your real estate agent, who can provide information on local neighborhood and the choice of schools your child might attend, whether public or private.
2. Most private schools have websites with great photo galleries and video tours. So you and your child can surf the internet together and find various schools that you can consider.
3. The best way to determine which school is best for your child is to plan a visit to the schools you are considering. Just call ahead and ask for a staff person to show you the facilities. Try visiting when the school is in session, so you can observe some classes and speak with students.
4. While visiting, here are some questions that you should ask.
- How many classrooms do you have?
- What is the average number of students per class?
- What facilities do you have, above and beyond the usual?
- What is the school’s curriculum?
- What extra-curricular activities do you offer?
- How are students and teachers involved in school life?
This is one of the most essential parts of your moving preparations. The most important thing is to trust your own judgment when choosing a new school. You are the one to understand your child the most. Teachers and other parents can give you guidance but they can’t know what the best for your child.