Moving is stressful and expensive. Because of rising fuel costs and a shortage of drivers, the cost of a full-service move has risen in the past few years. However, there are ways to cut moving costs and lower your moving expenses.
Here are some tips that will help you make moving a much less expensive task.
- 1. Packing supplies can be very costly. Your friends and family might have moving supplies that they can lend or give it you. Ask them for boxes, packing tape and blankets that they don’t need. Blankets and paper sheets are a must for protecting furniture.
- 2. Make sure that you’re hiring a legitimate mover — a licensed moving company equipped with the proper insurance and resources to complete your move efficiently. Not all movers are the same. Begin the process of selecting a mover by asking your friends and family for referrals.
- 3. Once you have the names of a few movers, schedule in-home price quotes so that a consultant can perform a visual survey. Show them absolutely everything you have from top to bottom and ask what the price estimate includes. Ensure there are no extra fees during the move. Finally, make sure that you get the quote in writing.
- 4. Most people move on the weekend, so truck rental companies and moving companies will increase their rates for the weekend. Move during the week, and you’ll save on truck rental and movers.
- 5. The value/weight of your belongings is a big factor in determining the price of a move. To reduce the moving costs, get rid of your extra stuff that you don’t need. Raise extra money that you can apply to your move by selling items you no longer use. Donate any remaining items to family, friends or charity.
- 6. When hiring a moving company, always ask for coupons and special discounts. This will help you reduce your moving expenses to some extent.