Moving to a new place with all your belongings is undeniably a stressful job for New Yorkers. However, if you start completing the tasks weeks before, you would end up having a tension-free moving day.
4 weeks before moving
- Give your new address to mobile, satellite, cable and internet service provider and inform them your moving date.
- Provide your new address to your credit card provider, to avoid any inconvenience later
- If you have children, inform their date of joining to new school and the date of leaving to their old school.
- In case, you are moving out of the area, do not forget to register again with dentist, doctor and optician.
- Inform your local council that you are moving to a new address.
2 weeks before moving
- Send the change of address notification to financial institutions, family and friends, post office and others from whom you receive mails.
- Tell your new address to water, gas and electricity providers.
- Give old cloths and toys to charity.
3 days before moving
- Get rid of items that you want to dispose.
- Stop buying perishables.
- Start packing your belongings.
- Get the appliances disconnected by the electrician
- Keep your inventory slip and registration number with you. This would help you later in case there is a delay in shipping.
- Once all your belongings are loaded in the truck of moving company, NYC, take a final walk-through of your home to ensure nothing is left behind.