Whether you are relocating to a new home or a new city, everyone agrees that moving drains you both physically and mentally. Moving can be extremely overwhelming and require a lot of planning. If you do not plan and execute your moving plan properly, then this task can take a toll on you and your family. But this tiring and difficult task can be made easy, if you get a head start and organize everything properly. Figuring out just the right solution to organizing your move is why we are here to help. So follow our tips below and your move should be smooth and less stressful.
1. Divide and Conquer: Before you start packing and moving anything, divide all your items into categories and sub-categories. Divide by room and then get more specific. Your living room could be divided into décor, books, electronics, etc. And then back by group labeling along the way.
2. Pack Early: People usually believe that packing should be done just few days before the move. This assumption makes the task of moving extremely hectic and tiring, as you don’t get time to rest and are forced to rush all your packing. Therefore, packing 2 or 3 weeks before your move is wise, as you will be able to avoid confusion. We know that you’ll need specific things before you move so save the essentials for last. But the juicer you haven’t touched for years and the books on your shelves can be packed up early.
3. Room by Room Packing: To eliminate confusion, you should pack on a room-by-room basis. This keeps the items of each room separate and helps you unpack without any hassle.
4. Get Rid of Clutter: Avoid taking items that you have not used for a long time or simply do not need anymore. Donate clothes and toys that your kids have outgrown, finally get rid of the useless college textbooks you have not touched for years. Do not spend your time packing items that you know you will not be using, it is a simple waste of your time.
5. Get Help: The process of packing and moving can become easier if you have help available. Ask your family and/or friends to help you with your packing and unpacking. With their help, the whole process will become effortless and fun.
6. Keep Your Movers in the Loop: It is important to keep your movers informed about your things. Boxes can be carried easily, but when it comes to heavy and big items, you should inform your movers about them. It is better to communicate with the moving company so that they are prepared with the needed equipment. It will also help them to transport your belongings without causing any damage. Telling them about all of your items ahead of time means that you should avoid any fees from additional pieces as well. Making the price stay within your budget!
7. Devise a Plan: Before you start unpacking, it is better that you form a plan. Include your family members into the plan, so that you can unpack effortlessly and quickly.